Monday, November 12, 2007

David Hasselhoff: Singer, Why?


So there are a lot, and I do mean A LOT, of music videos that are horrible. There are many music videos that should never have been made. There are the hair bands from the 1980s, the modern rockers that just do weird creepy things like Slipknot or Marilyn Manson. Then there is the sappy love ballads from the ‘70s and ‘80s. But the “artists”, if that is what you want to call them, that are the worst are actors (good or bad) that try to be singers. Most people would think of William Shatner after my last statement, but I do not think of him as much as David Hasselhoff. I do not have a clue why he thought he needed to become an artist. But nevertheless he did, and an atrocious one at that-at least in my opinion. He is the painful ballads under his belt in “Wings of Tenderness” and “Looking for Freedom”. He also has the classic song from his show Knightrider, called “Our First Night Together: It is a humorous video with eighty’s outfits and permed hair. Even more odd, is the “Pingu Dance Rap” where there is just a penguin rapping with Hasselhoff’s voice. As weird or crazy all of these videos are, I chose none of them. And I almost chose "Limbo Dance", too but I did not. I chose “Hooked on a Feeling”, which is actually not that bad of a song originally, but Hasselhoff’s version is just a hideous piece of work. It has his cocky personality like he is Rico Suave, but not only that. There are horrible green screens, and special effects. There are unusual choices of wardrobe for Hasselhoff that ranges from a full fur coat to a suit. I have no clue why he thought this would be a good video, but for some reason it was made still. Oh well, just another video to watch and mock joyfully.

2 comments:

Dave said...

I’m glad I missed the majority of the eighties since it means that I missed this piece of interesting music history. Seriously, why? That is pretty much the only thing that I can say after seeing this. The guy starred in two TV shows, or so, and yet he still has to plague us with this? If they spent money to make this music video and to actually produce this music, they must have thought there was need for this music somewhere. Again I ask: Why?

ENG001: Language & Writing said...

I had never seen a David Hasselhoff music video before watching this one, but I remember him from his days on Bay Watch. I would occasionally watch that show with my mom, making fun of it the entire time. That was one of the most ridiculous shows I can remember watching and I know that it was very popular at the time, I don’t know why.
Its funny to think that Hasselhoff could be a worse singer than he is an actor, but after watching this video it seems that he is. Apparently someone appreciates his music though, he is very popular in Germany.